10 First Date Outfit Tips for Men
Last updated: Apr. 02 2021 | 2 min read
We’ve all met people when not looking our best. We’ve met new neighbors when mowing the lawn. We’ve met a new coworker on the day when we drip coffee on our shirt. As the saying goes, we only get one chance to make a first impression. We will, however, see our neighbors and coworkers probably more than we want. A date is different. First, there is no guarantee that you will get the opportunity for another date. Second, she is going to care much more about your appearance than your neighbor or coworker. Don’t worry, though. I’m here to help with 10 First Date Outfit Tips for Men.
1. Dress to the formality level of the event. If nearly every other man in the restaurant will be wearing a sports jacket, you shouldn’t show up without one. It’s much easier to dress down on the fly than dress up if you find yourself underdressed.
2. Dress to fit the weather. Let’s say you have dinner plans and after dinner your date suggests walking down the street for dessert. You want to be prepared.
3. Wear nice shoes! No flip flops or tennis shoes…unless you are at the beach or playing tennis. Women love shoes and they will notice yours.
4. Iron your shirt. We may not notice (or care) if our shirts are ironed, but she will most likely notice (and care).
5. Wear something that fits well. The fit of your clothes is more important than the brand, style or anything else. For those of you tempted to wear a super tight shirt…don’t…just don’t…
6. Wear something that you are used to and comfortable. Especially if you tend to get nervous on a first date, give yourself one less thing to worry about.
7. Wear a belt and make sure it matches your shoes. It makes your outfit look more complete.
8. Get feedback. Ask your roommate, friend, coworker or someone you trust about your outfit. You don’t have to let them dress you, but simply asking if you look OK may help you out.
9. Don’t wear anything too extreme or flashy. You don’t have to dress like your grandfather, but you don’t want your clothes to be a distraction. But at the same time…
10. Be yourself! Women love confidence. Wear something that expresses your personality.