Impress Your Date – Dress for Success
You never get a second chance to make a good first impression. It’s true that most people make instant, often subconscious, judgments about someone’s personality based on the first few seconds of their first meeting. Because of this fact, it is vitally important to look and dress your best when meeting for a first date. Appropriate attire, good grooming, and fashionable style can really impress someone on a first date, and may be the make-or-break factor regarding how they would feel about a second date. Here are some tips to help you look your best when trying to impress.
Learn to Look Your Best
If you do not have an inert sense of style, you may need to do a little bit of research in order to find out what looks best fit your body type, complexion, and personality. A good way to find out what colors look best on you is to have a color analysis done. Visit a reputable spa or salon that can perform a color analysis on you and find out which colors work best with our completion. Based on the analysis, go out and buy some outfits that work within your compatible color scheme.
Another way to find out what outfits, make-up, and fashion choices look best on you is to keep track of what your friends, family, and co-workers are saying about you. If your best friend keeps commenting about how good you look when you wear a particular color, make note of that and wear that color on your date. If co-workers rave about your new haircut or outfit, it’s a good sign that that haircut or outfit is flattering on you and would be a good choice for a first date.
You can also take a friend that you consider to be stylish out shopping with you for your date outfit. It may also be a good idea to read through some fashion magazines to keep up-to-date on trends and purchase dating clothes based on recommendations. Make sure you wear your new outfit out in public before you go on the date to see what sort of reaction you get from your peers. Don’t experiment with something brand new on your first date.
Be Subtle – Less is More
Don’t go overboard when getting ready for your date. We all want to look our best, but nerves may cause you to go a bit too far with your make-up, clothes, or fragrance. Remember, subtle make-up that emphasizes your best facial features can make a better impression than trying to hide your flaws with heavy make up and bright lipstick or blush.
It is also important to go easy on the clothing accessories and jewelry. Nice earrings, a handsome watch, or tasteful necklace can help emphasize a person’s beauty and style, but heavy gold chains, rings on every finger, and gaudy bracelets can actually distract a date from recognizing your natural beauty.
When wearing cologne or perfume, don’t drench yourself in your fragrance! In order to avoid being overbearing with your fragrance, spray the cologne or perfume in front of you before dressing and then walk into the spray. This will give a subtle hint of fragrance without an overpowering aroma.
Dating Fashion Dos and Don’ts to Always Remember
Here are a few fashion tips you should always abide by when going on a date:
1. Have clean, nicely manicured hands, well-groomed facial hair, and a clean haircut.
2. Wear clothes that fit and flatter you, avoid anything too baggy (it could make you look fat or frumpy) and stay away from anything too tight or restricting.
3. Dress appropriately for the occasion, stay away from tank tops and sandals (even if it is your usual style) if you and your date are attending a dinner party
And here are some things you should avoid when dressing to impress on a first date:
1. Don’t wear brand new shoes or an outfit you are not comfortable in as new shoes have the potential to really hurt your feet if they are not broken in properly and, if you are continually adjusting your tie or collar because you are not comfortable in a suit, you will turn off your date.
2. Avoid heavy make-up and outrageous outfits, they take away from who you really are and your natural beauty.
3. Don’t try to be too trendy; you may not be able to pull it off. If you want to experiment with your look, do it before the date and get feedback as to whether or not the look works for you.